COMPREHENSIVE THYROID PANEL
WHAT DOES THE THYROID GLAND DO?
The thyroid gland is responsible for regulating how your body uses energy through the production of hormones critical to proper cell and system functioning.
There are three main hormones in the thyroid system that should be balanced:
- TSH: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone is the most important of the hormones in the thyroid system, this stimulates or acts on the thyroid gland, telling it how much of the actual thyroid hormones need to be made.
- T4: Hormone is produced by the thyroid and travels throughout the body and is converted into T3.
- T3: The active form of T4. This is the hormone that goes into the cells and controls their function throughout the body.
A thyroid hormone panel screens for thyroid function and can help diagnose potential thyroid disease by examining your body’s production, levels, or usage of the different thyroid hormones. There are two types of thyroid and thyroid hormone-related disorders:
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) – symptoms may include fatigue, weight gain, a short attention span, and numbness or cold intolerance.
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) – symptoms may include weight loss, persistent vomiting, increased blood pressure, hair loss, or a persistently fast heart rate.